[distcc] Link-based masquerading and dist-cross-compiling

Martin Pool martinpool at gmail.com
Tue Oct 12 01:45:30 GMT 2004

On Sun, 26 Sep 2004 13:11:40 +0200, ncrfgs <ncrfgs at tin.it> wrote:
> On Sun, Sep 26, 2004 at 09:05:46PM +1000, Martin Pool wrote:
> > > Do you mean with the following link?
> > >
> > > /usr/lib/distcc/ia64-linux-gcc-3.3 -> ../../bin/distcc
> >
> > Yes
>
> I considered this solution already but this way I would lost the advantage to
> be able to use distcc even with those building scripts that doesn't care about
> the CC and CXX variables. =(

OK, so you have a package that (let's say) is hardcoded to compile
using cc.  You want to partially cross-compile it.

One approach is to put a script called 'cc' on your path which invokes
ccache or distcc with the real universal compiler name.

Another thing you can do is run the distccd servers with their
DISTCCD_PATH set so that the first occurrence of cc is the cross
compiler for the appropriate target architecture.  You might want to
run distccd with this setting on a different port if you do builds for
various targets.

Another option is to use Dan's name-translation patch or Rusty's ccontrol.