[distcc] autossh and distcc

Martin Pool mbp at sourcefrog.net
Sun Oct 10 00:33:48 GMT 2004

On 30 Sep 2004, Nikola Vouk <nvouk at eos.ncsu.edu> wrote:
> Can someone explain to me how autossh helps distcc and for that matter,
> an example on how to use it?
>
> The faq briefly mentions you can use it b/c of port forwarding, but how
> does that help distcc?

It is only useful for port forwarding, as far as I know, and that is
not a configuration that is useful for many people.

autossh can restart an ssh session if it collapses, which is good for
port forwarding.  However, what distcc needs is to be able to
repeatedly run remote commands without redoing the SSH setup.  I don't
think there is a good way to do that, but multi-session support in
OpenSSH might help in the future.  Look through the distcc list
archives for more.