[distcc] Multiple people running distcc at once, using one DISTCC_DIR

Jean Delvare khali at linux-fr.org
Tue Sep 21 20:14:12 GMT 2004

> --- Daniel Kegel <dank at kegel.com> wrote:
> > I don't think you should be sharing a .distcc directory between
> > multiple users.  It's not a common configuration, and there are
> > sure to be problems.
>
> Does "the community" agree?  I thought this was the recommended setup.

I do indeed agree :)

> If I don't share a common .distcc directory then how do I solve my
> worst-case scenario: 15 developers suddenly have to compile the entire
> tree.  They all put only the best hosts into their host files
> (because, after all, they each want a really fast compile), and they
> all start up their compilation.  The result is a bunch of blocked
> distcc tcp connects to machines with long tcp "listen" queues, and
> ultimately, very slow compiles...

I would hope that you users learn from their experiences. If "putting
only the best hosts into their host files" leads to slow compiles, they
are likely to get better results by using the supposedly slower hosts
instead. All this should self-equilibrate after some time.

--
Jean "Khali" Delvare
http://khali.linux-fr.org/