[distcc] Multiple people running distcc at once, using one DISTCC_DIR

Victor Norman vtnpgh at yahoo.com
Tue Sep 21 18:36:40 GMT 2004

--- Daniel Kegel <dank at kegel.com> wrote:
> I don't think you should be sharing a .distcc directory between
> multiple users.  It's not a common configuration, and there are
> sure to be problems.
> - Dan

Does "the community" agree?  I thought this was the recommended setup.

If I don't share a common .distcc directory then how do I solve my worst-case
scenario: 15 developers suddenly have to compile the entire tree.  They all put
only the best hosts into their host files (because, after all, they each want a
really fast compile), and they all start up their compilation.  The result is a
bunch of blocked distcc tcp connects to machines with long tcp "listen" queues,
and ultimately, very slow compiles...

NOTE: I'm very willing to make some "serious" changes to distcc if I have to --
if "the community" knows how I can make distcc work using a common .distcc
directory...

Vic