[distcc] Lock before preprocess?

Jean Delvare khali at linux-fr.org
Wed Aug 25 09:28:06 GMT 2004

> Time to preprocess a file is very long due to lot of inclusion of headers
> files, lot of use of define flags, ...
>
> And because preprocessing is done on only the host computer, this is
> the weak point of distcc in our project. Preprocessing time is what
> is limiting the speed of distributed compilation time for us.

Have you tried to not include "localhost" in your distcc hosts list? That way,
the machine on which the compilation is run will be dedicated to preprocessing
and linking, while any compilation will be done remotely. In your specific
case it may result in a shorter overall compilation time. You may also find
that lowering the value of -j helps.

--
Jean "Khali" Delvare
http://khali.linux-fr.org/