[distcc] Re: Distcc crashes Linux (Intel e1000 ethernet driver?)

Mikko Huhtala mhuhtala at abo.fi
Sat Aug 14 06:23:25 GMT 2004

Thanks for the link to the patch. I'll try it if I can find the time.

Martin Pool writes:
 > On 10 Aug 2004, Mikko Huhtala <mhuhtala at abo.fi> wrote:
 > >
 > > I tried distcc 2.17 with the environment variables DISTCC_MMAP=0
 > > DISTCC_SENDFILE=0 DISTCC_TCP_CORK=0 set. I still kernel panics on the
 > > latest Fedora Core 1 kernel. This time the ethernet driver int the
 > > panicked system was 3c59x.
 >
 > That's no good; that means it's probably not the same bug as before.
 > Do you get an oops or some other backtrace from the kerne?  You should
 > probably report it to the kernel list.

I'm no kernel programmer, but as far as I can see the problem (and the
patch) is in page allocation during zero-copy operations, so the bug
could affect any driver that does zero-copy, right? Certainly I see
exactly the same behaviour with both e1000 and 3c59x.

The bug was already reported in the RedHat bugzilla and their kernel
developers had been cc:d. I guess I should try the latest 2.4 kernel
before sending a message to the kernel mailing list.

Mikko