[distcc] small protocol extensions for -ftest-coverage, -fbranch-probabilities

Daniel Kegel dank at kegel.com
Fri Jun 25 17:12:47 GMT 2004

Martin Pool wrote:
> Yes, one thing I wanted to do was to allow the client to control the
> input and output filenames, which implies a clean directory for each
> job.

Yup.  Should the client have to specify which files it wants
back, or should the server just send back everything new?

>>(And I have to patch gcc anyway to set the directory name used for
>>the .da files.  Maybe I could get away with combining the two, but I
>>don't think so.)
>

> Could you explain more about this?

When you run a program compiled with -fprofile-arcs, it creates a
.da file in the directory the original source file lived in,
with a filename the same as the original source file but with
a different suffix.  I think the right way to deal with
this for distcc is to add an option to gcc to use
as the directory for creating .da files, and to change distcc to preserve the
original source filename when making the .i (changing the suffix, of course).
Then the distcc client could use the new option to pass the
cwd of the original source file to the compiler regardless
of how many source files are sent across for compilation.

(Heh.  Notice my nefarious plan to eventually speed things
up and allow whole-program optimization by sending across
multiple .i files to the remote compiler in one request someday?)
- Dan