[distcc] Will patches for host list randomization and connection timeouts be merged into the main trunk? (fwd)

Martin Eisenhardt Martin.Eisenhardt at uni-bayreuth.de
Sat Jun 19 21:52:51 GMT 2004

On Fri, 18 Jun 2004, Daniel Kegel wrote:

> Martin Eisenhardt wrote:
> >>Sound reasonable to me.  How many hosts are in your cluster?
> >>And are they all roughly the same performance?
> >
> > There are as many as 25 P4 at 3GHz, one 2-way server with 2xP4 at 3GHz and a
> > couple of desktop systems across the department.
>
> OK, so it sounds like the randomization won't hurt you too much
> (your systems all seem fairly similar, and you can still add the 2-way
> twice).

I have already done this, but there are other reasons for host list
randomization. Suppose that more than one person is using the compile
farm, and that all users have the same hosts file. If the number of
distccds is higher than the number of parallizable (?) tasks in a build
(say N), them the first N machines get hit very often while the others are
seldomly used. Host list randomization would fix that problem.

> > All systems are running
> > Gentoo, the computers in the lab are Windows-infected (that's why they
> > aren't always availale, grrrrr).
>
> Why not run distcc under Cygwin?  If you're targeting Linux, and using
> crosstool-generated compilers, you can mix cygwin, linux, and macosx boxes
> in your compile cluster...

I thought about that, but the thing is that the computer labs are used by
students during the day. Most of them prefer Windows (alas!), so your
suggestion about using Cygwin could just work. On the other hand, I do my
big compiles (KDE and the like) during the night-time, when the computer
labs are used for scientific calculations (under Gentoo). For my daytime
work, it is sufficient if the 2-way server and several other machines
across the lab are available.

> > German influences? (Mfg = Mit freundlichen Gruessen?)
>
> I say that to all the @.de's :-)  And yes, I'm under the influence of German,
> I just subscribed to http://german.tv so I can tune my ear better
> to german pronunciation.

Great to hear that! Have fun with one of the easiest languages to learn
;-)

> - Dan

But back to the initial question: will these patches be merged into the
main path of development? It would be really a great step forward. May I
directly ask the maintainer of the package what he thinks about the two
patches?

Thanks and best regards!

Dipl.-Wirtsch. Inf. Martin Eisenhardt

Universität Bayreuth
Fakultät Mathematik und Physik
Fachbereich Informatik
Lehrstuhl für Angewandte Informatik I
D-95440 Bayreuth

fon  : +49 (921) 55 3314
fax  : +49 (921) 55 5820
email: martin.eisenhardt at uni-bayreuth.de
www  : http://ai1.inf.uni-bayreuth.de
www2 : http://www.mneisen.org

Please note: this eMail was composed entirely of recycled bits. No byte
             was harmed during the creation of this message. Please
             dispose of carefully!