[distcc] Re: distcc

Carl Karsten carl at personnelware.com
Fri May 14 14:15:50 GMT 2004

Martin,

Thanks for looking over my post.

> > Ok, I just confused myself.  I can't remember if I was .48 was the
> > KnoppixDistccdCD or Cygwin, so if that is important, I will gladly setup a
> > cleaner test.

Setting up clean test now.

> > LinuxBook1 xc # cat /etc/distcc/hosts
> > 192.168.1.48
> > MAKEOPTS="-j1"
>
> So you want to build only on one remote machine, and only one task at
> a time?

This was to isolate the problem.

> > children: 0.176973 user 0.051992 sys
> > distcc[23532] (dcc_cleanup_tempfiles) deleted 0 temporary files
>
> So this part worked?

Um, I guess. I am assuming that distcc's status messages are correct.  kinda
hard to tell until I get a sucessfull build.

> > imake.o: file not recognized: File format not recognized
>
> This is what caused the error; imake.o is corrupt.
>
> There are several possible reasons.  In rough order of likelihood.
>
>  - The compiler on the remote machine is incompatible or broken.
>
>  - You suffered a hardware or network error.
>
>  - You have a kernel bug.
>
>  - You have a distcc bug.
>
> So:
>
> What hardware, compiler, OS and kernel are you using locally and
> remotely?  What version of distcc are you using?

Client:
name: LinuxBook1
Intel Celeron (Coppermine) stepping 03
uname -a: Linux LinuxBook1 2.6.6-rc3-bk1 #14 Fri May 14 04:52:23 GMT 2004 i686
Celeron (Coppermine) GenuineIntel GNU/Linux
(yes, playing with snapshot versions, I think it is really bk8)

gcc version 3.3.2 20031218 (Gentoo Linux 3.3.2-r5, propolice-3.3-7)

distcc 2.14 i686-pc-linux-gnu (protocols 1 and 2) (default port 3632)
  built May 13 2004 07:14:32

Server:
Name: p18
P-III (Coppermine)
booted from CD: distccKNOPPIX-0.0.8.iso
linux knoppix 2.4.20-xfs
gcc version 3.3.1 200330626 (Debian prerelease)
distccd 2.7.1

> > cc1: error: unrecognized option `-Wdeclaration-after-statement'
>
> This is the error.
>
> Likely causes:
>
>  - compiler versions are wrong
>
>  - the compiler is not supported by the makefile
>
>  - makefile bug

Just got this same error on the above config.

Is this list the best place to discuss distccKNOPPIX?  I am surprised it doesn't
have more recent versions.  Also, I can't get sshd to run on it - "sshdCould not
load host key: /etc/ssh/ssh_host_key"

Carl K