[distcc] distcc only listens on v6 with --enable-rfc2553?

Jeff Rizzo riz+distcc at boogers.sf.ca.us
Wed May 12 06:21:57 GMT 2004

On Wed, May 12, 2004 at 12:10:49PM +1000, Martin Pool wrote:
> On 11 May 2004, Jeff Rizzo <riz+distcc at boogers.sf.ca.us> wrote:
> > I've gone and looked a little more deeply into this, and it
> > looks like the problem is that distccd will only ever listen
> > on one address, even when multiple --listen addresses are
> > specified.
>
> That is correct.
>
> > I may take a crack at supporting multiple listen fds unless someone
> > beats me to it...
>
> I guess so.  Do you really need it?  Why not just listen on the
> wildcard and use access control?

I will admit to not knowing how it's *supposed* to work, but it
definitely doesn't accept connections to its ipv4 address under
NetBSD the way it is now.  I looked briefly at thttpd (which is
just another program that I know handles listening on both v4 and v6),
and it has a concept of a listen_fd for both v4 and v6 separately.

If it can listen on one socket and accept both v4 and v6 connections,
great, but it's definitely *not* working now... netstat shows a
tcp6 listener on *.3632, but nothing for tcp.  I'll post a query
on the appropriate NetBSD mailing list to see if it's supposed to
work this way, or if there's some other magic that needs doing.

Thanks for the response.
+j

--
Jeff Rizzo                                         http://boogers.sf.ca.us/~riz