[distcc] load management

Dan Kegel dank at kegel.com
Sun May 2 17:56:52 GMT 2004

mbp at sourcefrog.net wrote:
> I think the improvement in friendliness makes up for any nervousness.

That sounds like the way Microsoft thought when they were designing ActiveX!
The only thing that will take away nervousness is a good security analysis.
Since that's hard, IMHO making the setup of the daemon manual helps
a lot, since it makes it explicitly clear to the user that they
are opening up a possible hole.

>>The idea of taking openssh and adding fsh-like abilities
>>and load-management abilities right into it is appealing.
>
> That would also be good.  The code is pretty straightforward.  Perhaps
> it would be hard to persuade the openbsd guys to take the patches, but
> it would be OK even if it existed as a nonstandard patch.

I posted my ideas on the ssh list, and it sounds like they like 'em
to some extent (though they haven't made the jump to one daemon
handling multiple remote systems, I think).  See
http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=openssh-unix-dev&m=108348373615666&w=2
and followups.
- Dan

--