[distcc] load management

Daniel Kegel dank at kegel.com
Thu Apr 29 17:43:34 GMT 2004

Martin Pool wrote:
> Please look at the notes on this in the TODO and protocol-3.txt
> documents in the source distribution.

Unfortunately, protocol-3.txt isn't in the current release,
and you don't have a web gateway set up so we can look at
the arch repository yet.

Is this a clever ploy to get us to install the arch client?  :-)

For what it's worth, I suspect that two simple changes --
randomizing the host list and (at least with the forking server)
dropping connection on high load average --
would measurably improve performance on a shared cluster
of workstations doubling as distcc servers
without any protocol changes.  If Josh and I get a chance, we'll
give those little tweaks a try.

Since some people rely on the host list not being randomized,
this would have to be optional somehow, I suppose.
Likewise, the load average check should probably be
controlled by a server commandline option.
- Dan