[distcc] crosstool-0.28-pre14: hetrogenous distcc cluster first light

Dan Kegel dank at kegel.com
Mon Mar 29 01:32:23 GMT 2004

As promised, here's the hetrogenous compile cluster demo.
No doc yet, and it's not really QA'd; this is just an
intermediate snapshot, but it is starting to work for me.

It's at  http://kegel.com/crosstool/crosstool-0.28-pre14.tar.gz

Here's how I tested it (assuming you've already unpacked that tarball):

On a Cygwin box, I ran
   demo-cluster.sh
   /opt/distcrosstool/i686-pc-cygwin/common/bin/run-distccd.sh
and on the Linux box, I did
   sh demo-cluster.sh
   DISTCC_HOSTS=192.168.1.44   (the IP adr of the Cygwin box)
   export DISTCC_HOSTS
   /opt/distcrosstool/i686-pc-linux-gnu/i686-unknown-linux-gnu/gcc-2.95.3-glibc-2.1.3/distributed/bin/i686-unknown-linux-gnu-gcc -c hello.c
(where hello.c already existed).
And sure enough, it sent the job over to the Cygwin box, which happily
compiled it.

demo-cluster.sh creates /opt/distcrosstool, which is just like /opt/crosstool
except for an extra level of hierarchy named for the *build* machine.
(This is useful if you have a bunch of workstations of different
OS's or CPU types all mounting the same remote filesystem.)

Still needs documentation and some shaking down, but at least the
out-of-the-box hetrogenous compile cluster demo is starting to work!

- Dan

--
My technical stuff: http://kegel.com