[distcc] distcc problems...

Dan Kegel dank at kegel.com
Sun Mar 21 15:39:21 GMT 2004

Martin Pool wrote:
>>IMHO this also means that using files to share state information
>>is probably only going to get us so far.  It may be time to think
>>of using a daemon to do what has been done with state files in
>>DISTCC_DIR so far.  Yeah, this would be harder to use, but for a
>>few installations, it might be a worthwhile option.
>

> I don't think it needs to be harder to use, but it will need some more
> coding and some design work.
>
> A daemon that knew about the state of all processes would allow you to
> centrally monitor all compilations by all users on all machines, which
> might be quite nice in some ways.  However, you don't necessarily want
> that information to all be public.  How should it know who to publish
> the information to?

You could use a Unix domain socket and send an
SCM_RIGHTS or SCM_CREDENTIALS message with sendmsg.
This is used e.g. by http://dovecot.procontrol.fi/ 's server
for similar reasons.  Cygwin doesn't support it last I checked,
so you'd want to be able to fall back at configure time
to the files.
- Dan

--
My technical stuff: http://kegel.com