[distcc] Bootable distcc node

Dan Kegel dank at kegel.com
Wed Mar 17 07:09:56 GMT 2004

Dan Kegel wrote:
> Beware.  I did package up these toolchains as RPM files, and
> the resulting packages were so large they took 15 minutes to
> install.  Unpacking a .tgz, by comparison, took about 5 minutes.
> Maybe rpm is more optimized by now.  If not, this is probably
> an easy performance bug to fix.

I remember now: the 15 minute RPM was a worst case, where
I had three different toolchains (gcc/glibc/etc) and three copies of the
Linux source tree (!) all in the same RPM.  An RPM containing
a simple toolchain would probably take no more than a minute to install.
- Dan

--
My technical stuff: http://kegel.com