[distcc] distcc problems...

Daniel Kegel dank at kegel.com
Thu Mar 11 00:46:12 GMT 2004

ahasty at chiaro.com wrote:
> I pursued the DISTCC_DIR angle first.
> I think by default this environment variable is set to your $HOME/.distcc directory which in our setup is NFS mounted on a Netapps box.
> While I have only run the test ONCE, setting the DISTCC_DIR=/tmp/ahasty/.distcc resulted in a clean run.
> I will try this several more times, to see if it really cleans up the problem.
> I do have distccmon-text running on each of the machines that the  make is run on, just to see what is going on.
> I'll try this several more times tomorrow and report back the problems.

Ah, so to clarify: you're running a build on each of
several machines?  So there are N different
machines sharing the same home directory, all
running distcc-based builds?  And so setting DISTCC_DIR
for each of these machines to /tmp/$USER/.distcc
prevents more than one build from sharing the same
.distcc directory?

Maybe the problem is that files in ~/.distcc are named
by pid, and you ran into a situation where two of
the build machines happened to use the same pid for
distcc runs overlapping in time?
- Dan