[distcc] permission problems, DISTCC_DIR

Martin Pool mbp at samba.org
Wed Mar 3 00:54:33 GMT 2004

On 20 Feb 2004, Thomas Schwinge <schwinge-lists-samba.org-distcc at nic-nac-project.de> wrote:
> Hello!
>
> I'm experiencing the problem described in distcc/TODO the other way
> round.

Thanks for the documentation patch; that was applied.

> I start a software installation script as root, the script calls setgid
> and setuid and begins to compile.
> As $HOME is still set to ~root distcc will fail because of not being
> able to create files in ~root/.distcc.
> So I set DISTCC_DIR - btw. this in not mentioned in the manual page nor
> in distcc's run-time help; a patch is attached - to /tmp/distcc and
> applied the distcc/patches/lisa--recursive-mkdir-uid-distccdir.patch to
> have a separate directory for every UID.
> The patch needs a tiny modification to make it apply against current
> versions of distcc, a patch is attached.

I think the only problem with creating subdirectories is that you
would not be able to monitor jobs run by a different UID, but that
could be fixed.

This might not fully fix it though.  If root's umask causs /tmp/distcc
to be created mode 0700 then the compile would still fail.  But
perhaps it is easier to fix.

> Is there a better solution to solve this problem?

I wish there was...