[distcc] Re: Using distcc for other tasks (distributed "filtering")

Alexandre Oliva oliva at lsd.ic.unicamp.br
Mon Feb 16 02:11:44 GMT 2004

On Feb 15, 2004, Christian Leber <christian at leber.de> wrote:

> Exactly, i have about 30000 pieces, my problem is that i don't know how
> to get distcc to pipe it through the gzip(*) on the remote boxes.

You'll probably have to create a wrapper program/script that ``looks''
like a compiler in that it takes a preprocessed source file and
outputs an object file.  Then create a Makefile that splits the big
input into multiple ``source'' files, ``compiles'' (== gzip) them all,
then ``links'' (== cat) the resulting object files into the compressed
image.  Yuck!  But it might even work! :-)

Happy GNU Year!                     oliva@{lsd.ic.unicamp.br, gnu.org}