[distcc] Using distcc for other tasks (distributed "filtering")

Christian Leber christian at leber.de
Sun Feb 15 19:41:58 GMT 2004

Hello,

I really enjoy using distcc for compilations, now I'm searching for a
simple way to distribute data compression over a network (compressing
Knoppix, takes about 100 minutes ever time), i just need to get a 64 kb
to the other boxes, compress them and get them back (that may be for example
30000 64kb blocks), so it's basically the same like compressing.

I was wondering if this may be done without changing distcc itself, I
want to call gzip or something similar (I can change the interface of
course, because I still have to write it) remote, so what would I need
to do locally to get this working?
What would a cpp replacement have to do?

Thank you in advance

Christian Leber

--
  "Omnis enim res, quae dando non deficit, dum habetur et non datur,
   nondum habetur, quomodo habenda est."       (Aurelius Augustinus)