[distcc] distccmon time sync issues

Ahlborn, James T (MED) James.Ahlborn at med.ge.com
Fri Feb 13 14:16:32 GMT 2004

hi,
I discovered, through much pain and agony, that the distcc monitors check
the time stamp of the state files before using them.  this is a good idea,
until your systems start having time sync issues.  in my case, my home
directory was on a box which was 2 minutes behind my development box.  this
meant that all of my state files seemed to be two minutes old.  the distcc
monitors, then, ignored those state files.  this was very frustrating
because the distcc monitors showed no state despite the fact that the state
files where there and accessible.  i would suggest some sort of feature
addition to the monitors such that if the monitors continually detect state
files that seem "out of date", that they suggest to the user that there may
be time sync issues (similar to other build tools which may suggest "time
skew detected" or similar).

-james