[distcc] Re: avoiding work

Ben Elliston bje at wasabisystems.com
Mon Feb 2 13:07:14 GMT 2004

Martin Pool <mbp at samba.org> writes:

> Useful and venerable though autoconf is, it's performance is pretty
> terrible even on unix.  One of the distcc benchmarks is GNU hello,
> which takes about 15s to configure and 1s to compile.

That's not a very useful comparison.  Pick another package like GNU
fileutils and configure will still take ~15 seconds, but will have a
much larger compilation time that outstrips configure.

I'm not saying that configure's performance is good at all, but this
benchmark is just damned lies and statistics .. :-)

Ben