[distcc] avoiding work

Martin Pool mbp at samba.org
Fri Jan 30 04:22:06 GMT 2004

On 29 Jan 2004, Wayne Davison <wayned at samba.org> wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 29, 2004 at 08:31:40AM -0500, Benjamin S. Scarlet wrote:
> > It seems to me that it _might_ be possible to get more for less by
> > hooking distcc into gcc differently, at the expense of not distributing
> > the assembly.
>
> There's a project attempting to do that here:
>
>     http://freshmeat.net/projects/cachecc1/
>
> I haven't looked at it at all, so I have no idea how well it works.
> (The page says "Beta".)  The cachecc1 site appears to be down at the
> moment, though...

Well, that's not quite the same thing; it hooks in through some kind
of preload rather than through the normal mechanism.  And I think that
is replacing ccache rather than distcc, but you could hook it in a the
same point.

It would probably not take a very big change to distcc to do it.  In
fact, it probably wouldn't take any change to distcc, you could do it
just by installing it with the right changes.

I still don't understand why Benjamin thinks it would be a good idea.

I was talking to bje at lunchtime and realized that the cc1 technique
probably won't work with modern gcc versions, which may default to
using the integrated cpp.