[distcc] distcc-zeroconf (Apple Xcode)

Martin Pool mbp at samba.org
Fri Jan 23 04:19:52 GMT 2004

On 22 Jan 2004, Benjamin Reed <ranger at befunk.com> wrote:

> >>On the subject of the technical issues, though, is anyone
> >>interested/willing/capable of forward-porting apple's changes to a
> >>modern distcc?  It would be definitely nice to have...
> >
> >Last time I looked, the Apple changes were pretty messy.  I would like
> >to see the general idea moved in though.  For general use, I think you
> >would need some kind of check that the gcc versions matched properly.
> >I'm planning to add some checks in a future version.
>
> Yeah, they were rather messy.  They seemed to be implementing some
> architectural features that exist in later distcc's, in a much more ugly
> manner.  =)
>
> >You would also need to find a mDNS library under an appropriate (GPL,
> >MIT, or weaker) licence.
>
> Apple's posix implementation of mDNS is available under the APSL 2.  As
> far as I can tell, it's got a bsd-ish advertising clause, and if you
> make changes to their mDNSresponder and deploy them, you must release
> those changes as APSL 2.  There's no restrictions on other things
> linking against it:
>
> 4. Larger Works. You may create a Larger Work by combining Covered
> Code with other code not governed by the terms of this License and
> distribute the Larger Work as a single product. In each such instance,
> You must make sure the requirements of this License are fulfilled for
> the Covered Code or any portion thereof.
>
> Whether that's enough or not I don't know, I don't recall exactly how
> such things fall under linking and derivative works, but from my clearly
> layman point of view, it seems like something that can be linked against
> without issue.

According to the FSF, it can't be linked to GPL'd programs

  http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/apsl.html

At this point I am leaning toward supporting a plugin interface to get
a host list.  For example:

  DISTCC_HOSTS='!/usr/local/bin/find-distcc-hosts'

Then we can have a nice mDNS-vs-SLIP cagematch to implement it.