[distcc] distcc-zeroconf (Apple Xcode)

Benjamin Reed ranger at befunk.com
Fri Jan 23 04:13:32 GMT 2004

Martin Pool wrote:

>>I don't recall seeing anything in the installer about distcc's source,
>>and a grep through /Developer and the installer receipts for the SDK
>>don't have any mention of distcc except for general distcc
>>troubleshooting stuff.  :P
>
> Could you check that please?

In the license section of the developer tools installer is this:

B.  Certain components of the Developer Software, and third party open
source programs included with the Apple Software, have been or may be
made available by Apple on its Open Source web site
(http://www.opensource.apple.com/) (collectively the “Open-Sourced
Components”).  You may modify or replace only these Open-Sourced
Components; provided that: (i) the resultant modified Developer Software
is used in accordance with the permitted uses set forth above; and (ii)
you otherwise comply with the terms of this License and any applicable
licensing terms governing use of the Open-Sourced Components. Apple is
not obligated to provide any maintenance, technical or other support for
the resultant modified Developer Software.

...and then further down:

11. Third Party Acknowledgements.
A.  Portions of the Developer Software utilize or include third party
software and other copyrighted material. Acknowledgements, licensing
terms and disclaimers for such material are contained in the “online”
electronic documentation for the Developer Software, and your use of
such material is governed by their respective terms.

B.  Certain software libraries and other third party software included
with the Apple Software are free software and licensed under the terms
of the GNU General Public License (GPL) or the GNU Library/Lesser
General Public License (LGPL), as the case may be.  You may obtain a
complete machine-readable copy of the source code for such free software
under the terms of the GPL or LGPL, as the case may be, without charge
except for the cost of media, shipping, and handling, upon written
request to Apple.  The GPL/LGPL software is distributed in the hope that
it will be useful, but WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY, without even the implied
warranty of MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.  A copy
of the GPL and LGPL is included with the Apple Software.

>>On the subject of the technical issues, though, is anyone
>>interested/willing/capable of forward-porting apple's changes to a
>>modern distcc?  It would be definitely nice to have...
>
> Last time I looked, the Apple changes were pretty messy.  I would like
> to see the general idea moved in though.  For general use, I think you
> would need some kind of check that the gcc versions matched properly.
> I'm planning to add some checks in a future version.

Yeah, they were rather messy.  They seemed to be implementing some
architectural features that exist in later distcc's, in a much more ugly
manner.  =)

> You would also need to find a mDNS library under an appropriate (GPL,
> MIT, or weaker) licence.

Apple's posix implementation of mDNS is available under the APSL 2.  As
far as I can tell, it's got a bsd-ish advertising clause, and if you
make changes to their mDNSresponder and deploy them, you must release
those changes as APSL 2.  There's no restrictions on other things
linking against it:

4. Larger Works. You may create a Larger Work by combining Covered
Code with other code not governed by the terms of this License and
distribute the Larger Work as a single product. In each such instance,
You must make sure the requirements of this License are fulfilled for
the Covered Code or any portion thereof.

Whether that's enough or not I don't know, I don't recall exactly how
such things fall under linking and derivative works, but from my clearly
layman point of view, it seems like something that can be linked against
without issue.