[distcc] distcc-zeroconf (Apple Xcode)

Martin Pool mbp at samba.org
Fri Jan 23 03:40:53 GMT 2004

On 22 Jan 2004, AthlonRob <AthlonRob at axpr.net> wrote:
> On Thu, 2004-01-22 at 19:24, Martin Pool wrote:
>
> > Read the GPL.  Merely putting the source on a web site does not fulfil
> > the requirements.
>
> What if the website where the program is downloaded from has the
> binaries with the source linked right under it?

That's fine.  Clearly it is being distributed along with the binaries,
and in an acceptable medium.  Anyone who gets the binary can easily
get the source.

For commercial distributions on CD, it is usually easier to just give
everyone the source.  CDs have nearly zero cost, and it gets the
obligation out of the way up front.

> What if the binary distribution comes with said written promise in a
> LICENSE file or something similar put in /usr/doc/distcc ?

That's also fine.  The file would have to say something like this:

  foocc is distributed under the GUN General Public Licence.  Anyone
  may obtain the source to this program from

     http://foo.com/dl/foocc

  Alternatively, write to Foo Corporation, 47 Street, Homeville,
  including a stamped & self-address envelope.

I haven't installed the Apple packages, and for all I know they have
such a file.  If they don't, there is a problem.

I know the condition may seem strange at first.  The reason is that
for the GPL to be effective, users must understand that they can get
the source and be able to exercise that right without needing good
luck in finding somebody who knows where the source is hidden.