[distcc] distcc-zeroconf (Apple Xcode)

Martin Pool mbp at samba.org
Fri Jan 23 03:33:29 GMT 2004

On 22 Jan 2004, AthlonRob <AthlonRob at axpr.net> wrote:
> On Thu, 2004-01-22 at 19:17, Martin Pool wrote:
>
> > > http://www.opensource.apple.com/darwinsource/tarballs/other/distcc-17.tar.gz
> > >
> > > All of apple's open-source stuff can be downloaded from there.
> >
> > Whether you can download it is somewhat beside the point.  The
> > question is whether Daniele got either the source or a written offer.
>
> In order to distribute binaries of distcc, you must distribute them with
> the source code... as in in the installation program or the binary
> installation file?  A distcc RPM must include either the source code or
> a written (as in, on paper?) offer?

That is correct, at least for commercial distributions such as
Apple's.  See the GPL s3.

This is why, when you buy a commercial Linux distribution, you almost
always get source discs even if you did not ask for them.  It is not
necessary for every RPM to include the source but you must offer the
source as well, except under the conditions of s3(c).

I don't know if "written" means "written on paper" or whether it is OK
to have it in ASCII.  I would expect that for a purely electronic
distribution it is OK to have an electronic offer.

But you don't need to believe me; just read the GPL.

> FWIW, the URL above (if you didn't check) *is* the source code and
> patches.

As I said, that is not the point.  It should not be necessary for
anyone to ask around in the hope of finding the source.  Apple must
provide it (or an offer to send it.)