[distcc] distcc-zeroconf (Apple Xcode)

Daniele Nicolucci (Jollino) jollino at sogno.net
Thu Jan 22 13:39:54 GMT 2004

Hello there,
I'm using MacOS X 10.3.2 ("Panther") with Xcode 1.1 on two machines (an
iBook G4 and a PowerMac Dual G4). I'm using distcc for my command line
compiles, as I never compile anything OS X native.

The problem is that sometimes distcc will get stuck with some "cannot
exec blah.o". I looked around and it seems that this was a problem of
older versions of distcc which didn't allow to put the object after the
sources (or, when linking the objects, to put the final object after
the list of the 'source' objects).
That is, if the Makefile issues a "distcc bla1.o bla2.o bla3.o -o bla"
command, distcc will complain while trying to execute bla1.o -- and
obviously this is an incorrect behavior.

The problem actually lies in the fact that the rendezvous-enabled
(zeroconf) version of distcc modified by Apple is veeery old:
lene:~ jollino$ distcc --version
distcc 2.0.1-zeroconf powerpc-apple-darwin7.0 (protocol 1) (default
port 3632)
   built Dec  9 2003 20:54:55

I tried to see whether Apple had released back their rendezvous distcc
patch, so that someone would include in newer versions, but it seems
not. Am I wrong?

I'd like to use a recent version of distcc to get rid of that bug, but
I'd like to keep the compatibility with rendezvous...

Any hints, please? :)

Thanks in advance
Daniele
--