[distcc] distcc fails when using "gcc -specs"

Martin Pool mbp at sourcefrog.net
Wed Jan 7 00:15:10 GMT 2004

On  6 Jan 2004 Bill Hayden <bhayden at webmd.net> wrote:

> On Mon, 2004-01-05 at 18:56, Martin Pool wrote:
> > Why don't you just specify -I options like everyone else?
>
> Aesthetics mostly.  :-)  There are so many additional include
> directories that it gets hard to follow the compile -- the whole
> screen is filled with nothing but -I lines.  A poor reason to use
> -specs, perhaps, but I like my compiles to be clean and readable.
>
> If you know of a better way to add several dozen system include paths
> without using -specs (breaks distcc), changing the default specs file
> (not an option), or using dozens of -I lines (just plain ugly), I'd be
> interested to hear about it.

Any of these:

[1] (as rml recommends in his kernel book)

$ make >make.log

Errors go to stderr, and other noise goes to make.log.  You can read
it if you need to.  This makes it far easier to see errors, which is
all you really need 95% of the time.

[2] make -s

[3] (from samba's makefile)

.c.o:
        @echo Compiling $*.c
        @$(CC) $(CPPFLAGS) $(CFLAGS) -c $< -o $@

[4] (from some gnome projects)

CPPFLAGS = `pkg-config --cflags libfoo libbar libsnozzle`

Then on the command line you just see a list of libraries, not all the
gory details.

[5] (if you didn't want pkg-config)

CPPFLAGS = blah blah blah `cat $(srcdir)/cppflags`

[6] (either from your shell or makefile)

export CPATH=/opt/ardbeg/include:/opt/bowmore/include:/opt/caolila/include

There are probably a few more.

I also wonder if it's really a good design to search dozens of
directories for include paths, rather than having include files under
a set of subdirectories, but I suppose that is harder for you to
change.

                               linux.conf.au -- Adelaide, January 2004