[distcc] distcc fails when using "gcc -specs"

Bill Hayden bhayden at webmd.net
Tue Dec 30 21:59:26 GMT 2003

I was very excited when I read about distcc, but unfortunately I ran
into problems almost immediately when trying to use it.

I use a specs file in my project to add several dozen new include paths
to gcc's standard list of include paths.  This affects only
preprocessing and not compilation... however, the remote distcc process
is apparently still trying to use the specs file and complains that it
can't find it (which is true of course).

Shouldn't distcc strip the -specs option from the options passed to the
remote distcc?  Or is there a another way to handle this that I'm not
thinking of?

I am using distcc 2.12 and gcc 3.3.1, on Mandrake 9.2.  The error looks
like this:

distcc -Wall -Wno-multichar -c -g -O2 -pipe -specs=../myproj.specs
-Woverloaded-virtual -Wnon-virtual-dtor -fexceptions test.cpp -o
objs/test.o
cc: ../myproj.specs: No such file or directory
distcc[23272] ERROR: compile on 172.25.1.121 failed

--
Thanks,
Bill Hayden