[distcc] distcc and cachecc1

Benoit Poulot-Cazajous Benoit.Poulot-Cazajous at Jaluna.COM
Thu Dec 18 11:41:50 GMT 2003

Aris Basic <aris.basic at silencesoftware.com> writes:

> did anyone try to use distcc with cachecc1 (this cache method looks faster
> then ccache) ?
> If yes ,
> did you have to do something special to set it up (beside regualr cachecc1 and
> distcc setup)?
> did it work :)

cachecc1+distcc does not work (yet).

cachecc1 is the sum of two parts that require some work to cohabit with distcc.
1) cachecc1 itself needs to talk directly to cc1/cc1plus and to checksum it.
   May be it is possible to tell distcc to behave as cc1*, but the checksum
   part looks rather difficult to do correctly.
2) followcc1.so, the LD_PRELOAD stuff, is very easy to adapt to distcc, or
   even ccache, and provides a nice alternative to "masquerade directories".
   I have the feeling that, maybe, it should be integrated in distcc as an
   addon.

So, if you want to use a compiler cache with distcc, use ccache.
On the other hand, running cachecc1 from distccd should work without problem.

  -- Benoit