[distcc] compressing source

Martin Pool mbp at sourcefrog.net
Tue Dec 16 11:17:27 GMT 2003

On 16 Dec 2003, Aris Basic <aris.basic at silencesoftware.com> wrote:
> another question :)
>
> would it be possible to add compression to distcc
> so that less badnwidth gets used (specialy for source code transfers)
> im seing the problem of my compiler machine is waiting 98% of the time
> to receive source (slow network [internet]), however rest is taking onyl a
> fraction of the time. If distcc would compress the source before trasmitting
> i think that could speed up whole process.

RTFM.

  COMPRESSION
       The lzo host option specifies that LZO compression should be  used  for
       data  transfer,  including  preprocessed  source, object code and error
       messages.  Compression is usually economical on  networks  slower  than
       100Mbps,  but results may vary depending on the network, processors and
       source tree.

       Enabling compression makes the distcc client and server  use  more  CPU
       time, but less network traffic.  The compression ratio is typically 4:1
       for source and 2:1 for object code.

       Using compression requires both client  and  server  to  use  at  least
       release 2.9 of distcc.  No server configuration is required: the server
       always responds with compressed replies to compressed requests.