[distcc] Problem using TMPDIR with Cygwin version of distcc

Martin Pool mbp at samba.org
Fri Dec 12 00:43:22 GMT 2003

On 11 Dec 2003, "Harig, Mark" <maharig at idirect.net> wrote:
> I am running the Cygwin version of 'distcc', version 2.11 that was recently made available.  It is being run on Windows 2000.
>
> $ cygcheck -c distcc make cygwin gcc g++
> Cygwin Package Information
> Package              Version        Status
> cygwin               1.5.5-1        OK
> distcc               2.11.2-1       OK
> gcc                  3.3.1-3        OK
> make                 3.80-1         OK
>
> I started the distccd daemon with:
>
> $ distccd --daemon --verbose --nice 4 --log-file /var/log/distccd.log --pid-file /var/run/distccd.pid --allow 10.0.19.0/24
>
> $ export DISTCC_VERBOSE=1
>
> 1. I have been unable to change the location where temporary files were written, as reported in /var/log/distccd.log.  I tried both exporting the TMPDIR environment variable and including it on the command-line for 'make', that is:
>
>     $ export TMPDIR=[somedir]
>     $ make -j4 CC="distcc ..."
>
>    and
>
>     $ make -j4 TMPDIR=[somedir] CC="distcc ..."
>
>    Because I was not able to redirect the location that distcc writes the temporary files, I worked around this problem by creating a mount point (on each of the distccd servers) where distcc expects the files to be written:
>
>     $ mount c:/tmp /tmp

This will control where the client writes its temporary files, barring
some unknown bug.  But setting TMPDIR for the client obviously won't
affect the server process.  You need to set TMPDIR when you run the
server.

> 2. Also, is there any way to retain the temporary files that
> 'distcc' creates, i.e., /tmp/*.i, /tmp/*.o, etc.?  I would like to
> be able sometimes to inspect these files in case they provide clues
> about problems.

rtfm:

     DISTCC_SAVE_TEMPS
        If set to 1, temporary files are not deleted  after  use.   Good  for
        debugging, or if your disks are too empty.

And yes, you need to set this for whichever processes you want it to
affect.

                               linux.conf.au -- Adelaide, January 2004