[distcc] Problem using TMPDIR with Cygwin version of distcc

Harig, Mark maharig at idirect.net
Thu Dec 11 21:47:36 GMT 2003

I am running the Cygwin version of 'distcc', version 2.11 that was recently made available.  It is being run on Windows 2000.

$ cygcheck -c distcc make cygwin gcc g++
Cygwin Package Information
Package              Version        Status
cygwin               1.5.5-1        OK
distcc               2.11.2-1       OK
gcc                  3.3.1-3        OK
make                 3.80-1         OK

I started the distccd daemon with:

$ distccd --daemon --verbose --nice 4 --log-file /var/log/distccd.log --pid-file /var/run/distccd.pid --allow 10.0.19.0/24

$ export DISTCC_VERBOSE=1

1. I have been unable to change the location where temporary files were written, as reported in /var/log/distccd.log.  I tried both exporting the TMPDIR environment variable and including it on the command-line for 'make', that is:

    $ export TMPDIR=[somedir]
    $ make -j4 CC="distcc ..."

   and

    $ make -j4 TMPDIR=[somedir] CC="distcc ..."

   Because I was not able to redirect the location that distcc writes the temporary files, I worked around this problem by creating a mount point (on each of the distccd servers) where distcc expects the files to be written:

    $ mount c:/tmp /tmp

2. Also, is there any way to retain the temporary files that 'distcc' creates, i.e., /tmp/*.i, /tmp/*.o, etc.?  I would like to be able sometimes to inspect these files in case they provide clues about problems.

Thank you in advance for any help that you can give.