[distcc] Adding / removing distcc servers on the fly?

Martin Pool mbp at samba.org
Tue Dec 2 05:42:07 GMT 2003

On  1 Dec 2003, Bill Chmura <bill at explosivo.com> wrote:

> First off, thanks for the advice the other day from a few people on a
> gentoo issue I was having.  I got two machines compiling together today,
> and gcc being compiled on another two.  I am also looking suspiciously
> at my iMac and my xBox.  Hmmmm, but thats another tale.
>
> I was not able to find this on the site or STFW...  Can I add nodes on
> the fly to the distcc thats running?
>
> I am using emerge with Gentoo.  I did try it, and it appeared that when
> I did the --set-hosts " ", it only took the first one listed if it was
> already running.  Not positive, some things won't compile in parallel on
> gentoo...  I had the text viewer running and I did not see anything
> being sent out.

I don't know what the gentoo tool does.  If you edit ~/.distcc/hosts
it will see them.

> Next question, I know from last time that a node can drop off and the
> cluster is okay.  What if the node comes up again?  Is it detected?

Yes.  It may take a minute for it to be noticed.

> Part of this would be dependent on emerge too I take it... If it
> restarts the distcc between each package being built?

No, there is no long-running client process.  The distcc is started by
make for each single file that's compiled.

> Thanks - this is a fantastic tool!

Thanks.  Feel free to throw money

  http://us2.samba.org/samba/donations.html

                               linux.conf.au -- Adelaide, January 2004