[distcc] Only simple things can be compiled

Martin Pool mbp at samba.org
Tue Dec 2 00:48:28 GMT 2003

Ah yes, Lisa is probably right.

On  2 Dec 2003, Niklas Fischer <nik at av8r.de> wrote:

> creating libgimp.la
> (cd .libs && rm -f libgimp.la && ln -s ../libgimp.la libgimp.la)
> rm -f libgimpi.a
> ar cru libgimpi.a gimpenv.o gimpchainbutton.o gimpcolorbutton.o
> gimpcolorspace.o gimpdialog.o gimpfileselection.o gimphelpui.o gimpmatrix.o
> gimppatheditor.o gimppixmap.o gimpprotocol.o gimpquerybox.o gimpsignal.o
> gimpsizeentry.o gimpunitmenu.o gimputils.o gimpvector.o gimpwidgets.o
> gimpwire.o gimpparasite.o gimpparasiteio.o
> ar: gimpunitmenu.o: No such file or directory
> make[2]: *** [libgimpi.a] Error 1
> mv -f .libs/gimpunitmenu.lo gimpunitmenu.lo
> mv -f .libs/gimpwidgets.lo gimpwidgets.lo
> make[2]: Leaving directory `/var/cache/apt-build/build/gimp-1.2.5/libgimp'
> make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
> make[1]: Leaving directory `/var/cache/apt-build/build/gimp-1.2.5'
> make: *** [all-recursive-am] Error 2

This is very likely a makefile bug in gimp-1.2.5: it's trying to use
the file gimpunitmenu.o before it has been built.

I can reproduce the problem when I build from the Debian package but
not in the upstream source.

I think this might be a problem with the version of libtool that
debian uses.  I'll have a look.

> so here`s an error:
> Dec  1 22:49:43 debian distccd[4207]: (dcc_readx) ERROR: unexpected eof on
> fd13

This is probably because make aborted and killed the distcc client.

The proper solution is to fix debian's gimp makefile.  The lazy
solution is to build gimp with -j1.

                               linux.conf.au -- Adelaide, January 2004