[distcc] Gentoo distcc with a bootable CD solution

Bill Chmura bill at explosivo.com
Mon Dec 1 06:19:33 GMT 2003

Hello any and all,  I've got two or three questions that I have gotten
either no feedback on, or varied feedback on.

I have been searching hi & lo for a bootable CD that has distcc on it
and a version of gcc that is the same as what the gentoo 1.4 comes with
(3.2.3-r3).   I've checked distccKnoppix, Knoppix, Gentoo LiveCD +
KDE... and so far none are a good match.  Some have an older version of
gcc, while some have a version that is newer and still listed as being
in testing on the gentoo site.

I have read that the machines doing the compiling should be the same
architecture and have the same exact gcc compiler.  When it comes to the
architecture is a p3 considered different than a p4?  Can a P4 compile
okay for a p3 machine?  Can a Celeron compile for a p3?  Is there a rule
of thumb?

Can slave machines drop out of the system when its compiling?  For
example, if one machine goes down out of six, what happens?  Will it be
alright (be reassigned to another pc)...

Any input would be appreciated!