[distcc] compile without localhost?

Daniel Johansson donnex at donnex.net
Tue Nov 25 03:38:26 GMT 2003

Hi, I've got a question about distcc. At home I got one laptop and a
bunch of slower servers and one faster, barton 2500+.  I am running
FreeBSD and I heard that the only thing that could be compiled with -jX
is the source tree, moast of the ports will generate errors. So I wonder
if it is a good idea, any benefits?, to use
DISTCC_HOSTS="IP_TO_MY_BARTON_SERVER" and not localhost or any other
nodes? Just to let the faster server compile instead of doing it on my
laptop or on the slower servers. This will work with all programs and
ports I think, I do not use -jX, all I want is to compile everything,
almoast, at the fast server instead of doing it localy.

Any thoughts about this? Is it a good idea/solution?