[distcc] Patch for Sun's Workshop 6

P. Christeas chpa at intranet.gr
Mon Nov 17 09:24:51 GMT 2003

Martin Pool wrote:
> On 23 Oct 2003, "P. Christeas" <chpa at intranet.gr> wrote:
> > Hi all and thanks for the great project
> > I have CC: Sun WorkShop 6 update 1 C++ 5.2, which works with distcc.
> > However, that compiler doesn't like '.ii' input files.
> > I simply created the following patch, which works for me but could break
> > some others. Can you find a test or add a '--with-sun-cc' option to
> > control that?
>
> I'm glad you like distcc.
>
> This patch is, as you say, no good at the moment because it will break
> other compilers.  I can't think of a satisfactory way to decide at
> runtime which compiler ought to be supported.  If somebody can suggest
> one I might merge it.
>
> For the meantime I can ship this in patches/ so people with sun cc can
> apply it.

In the meanwhile I discovered more problems with Sun's compiler:
It has no --nostddefs option, which means that it tries to re-load the std
headers even when it compiles the precompiled source. This leads sometimes to
trouble.
It also messes up the ild information sometimes.
Anyway, this compiler should be used with extreme caution.