[distcc] Re: GCJ with distcc

Tom Tromey tromey at redhat.com
Mon Nov 17 01:03:28 GMT 2003

>>>>> "Sytze" == Sytze van Koningsveld <sytzevk at netscape.net> writes:

Sytze> Is it possible to use gjc with distcc ? I am looking for a
Sytze> distributed compiler for java, and this seems the only way to
Sytze> do it.

I don't know a whole lot about distcc.  If it has a mode where it
assumes that all the compilation machines have the same view of the
filesystem then I'd imagine making it work with gcj should be fairly
easy.

Java isn't like C -- you can't preprocess a java program and end up
with a single file which can be farmed out for compilation.  A typical
java compilation will read many .java or .class files, including big
parts of the standard library.  There's no existing way to put this
into a single file for environment-independent compilation.

Let me know what you find out.  It would be interesting if this worked.

Tom