[distcc] Gentoo -> Slackware issue?

AthlonRob AthlonRob at axpr.net
Sun Nov 9 03:01:25 GMT 2003

On Sat, 2003-11-08 at 16:36, Martin Pool wrote:
> Thanks for your good report.

Ack... I didn't realize it was a report... it was honestly more of a
"Anybody help?" email... :-)

But you're welcome.

> The log shows that shortly after the server forks to run the compiler,
> the child just exits without doing anything.  It is successfully
> logging one message, so that we know its log messages are not being
> lost.  It is not crashing, or otherwise the parent would log that fact.

Ok, good.  I am *SO* glad I'm not just completely inept or insane.  :-)

> I don't know what would cause that problem.  Is there anything unusual
> about the server machine's configuration?

No.  It's a stock Slackware 9.1 installation on good, normal hardware.

> Could you try running it under strace?
>
>   strace -o /tmp/distccd.trace -f distccd --wizard

Done.  http://rob.axpr.net/distccd.trace.gz (it was ~625K uncompressed,
74K compressed).  I added a &> distccd.out to the end of that, and put
it in the same folder on my little webserver.

I hope it helps.  If there's *anything* else I can do to help, just let
me know and I'll do what I can.  If you want shell access to the system,
I think I trust you enough to let you in to poke around if it'll help.

Just let me know!

Rob