[distcc] distcc zeroconf with osx screensaver

Martin Akesson martin.a at popwire.com
Wed Oct 29 10:47:08 GMT 2003

Hello all, this mail is mainly directed to those of you who are
developing on Mac OSX with compiling help from distcc.  Most of you are
probably aware of Apples new IDE XCode that will replace Project
Builder which includes distcc for distributed builds.  What many might
not know is that Apple has added zeroconf, aka. rendezvous on the Mac,
to this distcc version which is a really nice feature to a already
superb program.

Now, my real intent with this message was only to let those developers
who will use distcc zeroconf, be it Apples version or a variant there
of, know of a OSX screen saver I created for this purpose.  The screen
saver will start/stop distcc whenever the saver is running and works
really well in a environment with many of developers.  You can even run
your favorite screen saver from within the distcc saver.   :)

The saver is BSD licensed and source will hopefully be released shortly
aswell.  Comments and ideas are welcome!

Screenshot and downloads are at http://www.popwire.com/distccsaver/.

--
Martin Akesson
Software Engineer