[distcc] Auto discovery of volunteers

Lisa Seelye lisa at gentoo.org
Sat Oct 18 00:53:27 GMT 2003

On Fri, 2003-10-17 at 18:43, Gerard Beekmans wrote:
> Last I checked distcc, it would only read from an environment variable
> which hosts to try as volunteer. I just noticed in the latest version it
> will also read files. That makes things easier, I could write a program
> that queries a list of potential volunteers every minute and checks if
> the distcc port is open. If not, remove that host name from the file
> distcc uses.

There's something kind of like this already done:
http://dev.gentoo.org/~lisa/distcc/distcc-subnetscan/distcc-subnetscan.pl

The code is no artwork and is a hack job, and isn't done (and may be
down since the server its hosted on is being moved on 18 Oct.

And on a related topic...
A feasibility would be to use zeroconf to advertise nodes in the daemon
and a segment in the client to detect volunteer nodes.  To this end, one
of our Gentoo devs is working on a (standalone) project to fulfill this,
when he makes it public I'll be sure to forward the relevant info to
this list for possible inclusion into the system.

--
Regards,
-Lisa