[distcc] Auto discovery of volunteers

Frerich Raabe raabe at kde.org
Fri Oct 17 23:22:40 GMT 2003

Am Saturday 18 October 2003 00:43 schrieb Gerard Beekmans:
> The one missing feature from distcc that prevents me from making optimal
> use of it is a way to keep a dynamic list of hosts that are available. I
> can't hard-code a list because I don't always have the same machines
> available (either turned on, or they're not running distccd at certain
> times for one reason or another) so there's a high chance of
> distribution failures which slows things down.
>
> Last I checked distcc, it would only read from an environment variable
> which hosts to try as volunteer. I just noticed in the latest version it
> will also read files. That makes things easier, I could write a program
> that queries a list of potential volunteers every minute and checks if
> the distcc port is open. If not, remove that host name from the file
> distcc uses.

Another idea might be to save the configuration file which enumerates the
hosts distcc may use in a central, and then all nodes use that.

A NFS share, rsync server, or maybe even something as simple as a local FTP
server (since the configuration file is presumably very small) come to mind.

- Frerich

--
"If you fail to adjust your notion of fairness to the reality of the Universe,
you will probably not be happy." - Paratima, of http://free-dc.org fame