[distcc] distcc 2.11.1 released

Dag Wieers dag at wieers.com
Mon Oct 13 11:49:13 GMT 2003

On Mon, 13 Oct 2003, Martin Pool wrote:

> On  8 Oct 2003, Dag Wieers <dag at wieers.com> wrote:
> > On Wed, 8 Oct 2003, Martin Pool wrote:
> >
> > >     * The graphical monitor can now be configured with either
> > >       libraries are not used.  In both cases the resulting program is
> > >       called distccmon-gnome and the functional differences are fairly
> > >       small.
> >
> > The shipped desktop file gives the following problem for me:
> >
> > 	# desktop-file-install --vendor gnome --add-category X-Red-Hat-Base --dir /var/tmp/root-distcc-2.11.1/usr/share/applications gnome/distccmon-gnome.desktop
> > 	Error on file "gnome/distccmon-gnome.desktop": Error in section Desktop
> > 	Entry at line 6: Invalid characters in key name
> >
> > It seems that (at least my) desktop-file-install doesn't like key names
> > with a space in them (Generic Name).
>
> That was taken from the freedesktop.org specification, which also says
> to use 0, not 'false'.  I suppose your system is using an older
> version?

I'm using desktop-file-utils 0.3, which is the latest.

	[root at lisse gnome]# desktop-file-validate distccmon-gnome.desktop
	Error parsing distccmon-gnome.desktop: Error in section Desktop Entry at line 6: Invalid characters in key name

The help however gives a clue:

	  --copy-name-to-generic-name      Copy the contents of the "Name" field to
	                                   the "GenericName" field.
	  --copy-generic-name-to-name      Copy the contents of the "GenericName"
	                                   field to the "Name" field.

I guess it should be GenericName instead of Generic Name.

> > Also, is there a reason why the .desktop file isn't installed in
> > $(datadir)/applications/ (and the icon in $(datadir)/pixmaps/) ?
> > My package is now doing that manually.
>
> I wasn't sure where that was specified.  Do you have a reference for
> that?

I've looked for a reference, and found this:

	http://pdx.freedesktop.org/Standards/desktop-entry-spec/desktop-entry-spec-0.9.4.html
	http://pdx.freedesktop.org/Standards/menu-spec/menu-spec-0.7.html

All my packages are doing it, that was my only reference until now.

The Spec also says clearly:

	Possible value types

	The value types recognized are string, localestring, regexp, boolean
	(encoded as the string true/false), and numeric.

and:

	Values of type boolean must either be the string 'true' or
	'false'.

> > I would also change the .desktop file to the following:
> >
> > 	[Desktop Entry]
> > 	Name=Distcc Monitor
> > 	Comment=Graphical view of distributed compile tasks
> > 	Exec=distccmon-gnome
> > 	Icon=distccmon-gnome-icon.png
> > 	Terminal=false
> > 	Type=Application
> > 	Categories=GNOME;Application;Development;
> > 	StartupNotify=true
> >
> > Unless some of the other key names offers functionality that I'm not aware
> > of. I'd like the menu-entries uppercase, as this is common practice for
> > Gnome.
>
> I'd rather not.

Ok, it's just that I think that's common practice in Gnome to have the
menu entries to start uppercase. So for my package I'll be doing it
anyway.

Kind regards,