[distcc] gentoo should use explicit gcc versions

Martin Pool mbp at samba.org
Thu Sep 25 03:20:41 GMT 2003

Hi,

I was just looking at the current gentoo distcc bugs.

It seems like some problems might be avoided if gentoo builds used an
explicitly versioned compiler name, like gcc-3.3.1.  That would trap
any mismatched versions right away, and be both simpler and more
reliable than trying to have distcc check them.  It would also allow
for machines to have several versions of gcc installed and their
clients would use whichever one is appropriate.  I certainly find that
useful with machines which are on slightly different releases.

The main catch here would be that masquerading alone might not be
sufficient.  You may need to explicitly set CC/CXX, and it will only
work for packages that properly obey those variables.  But I suspect
that applies to most packages.