[distcc] A bug in distcc?

Martin Pool mbp at sourcefrog.net
Wed Sep 24 03:44:54 GMT 2003

On 22 Sep 2003, Martin Pool <mbp at sourcefrog.net> wrote:
> On 22 Sep 2003 Lisa Seelye <lisa at gentoo.org> wrote:
>
> > The problem is that Portage is invoking '`which gcc` -dumpversion'
> > through distcc, for some reason or another, and distcc is creating a
> > lock file owned by root.  So its a "Lisa jumped the gun, even though she
> > was so sure" problem and not a distcc problem. ("oops")

> distcc can handle some of these situations better than it does now.
> For example the particular case Lisa reported might be fixed by
> e.g. removing lock files we don't have permission to open.  But I
> don't think a complete solution is possible: if root creates the
> distcc_dir without giving anyone else permission to open it then we're
> stuck.

I made one change in 2.11 which should improve this: lock and state
files are now created with 666/777 permission, masked only by the
user's umask.  So if you're lucky, having root use your distcc_dir
will not necessarily break things.  However, on a machine with a tight
umask, it is possible to have for example root end up owning
~mbp/.distcc.  I can't think of any good solution to that yet.