[distcc] How to try to use other compiler than gcc?

Martin Pool mbp at sourcefrog.net
Sat Sep 20 06:46:18 GMT 2003

On Fri, 19 Sep 2003 17:40:35 +0900 (JST)
Nagatomo Tamio <nagatomott at ybb.ne.jp> wrote:

> I am very interested in "distcc". It is great idea.

Thankyou.

> It was written on the distcc's Web Page,
> "distcc is not itself a compiler, but rather a front-end
> to the GNU C/C++ compiler (gcc). (There is preliminary
> support for some other compilers but the main focus is
> gcc.) Almost all gcc options and features work as normal.
> "
>
> Isn't distcc just a wrapper which realize distribute
> build? If so, we could set some option and could change
> compiler from gcc to favorite compiler.

Yes, that is correct.

The main thing that is specific to gcc in distcc is arg.c, which
understands gcc command-line arguments.  For example, it knows that
the -M option means to generate dependencies instead of compiling.  On
other compilers the options may be different.  Depending on how
different your compiler is from gcc, you might need to change or
replace this routine.

Also, some compilers may not have features that distcc needs -- for
example they might not be able to take preprocessed source as input
(tinycc?), or they might depend on reading other files in the working
directory (Sun cc?).

If you want to do this, please let us know so that any other
interested people can work with you.

Best regards,