[distcc] Re: distributing preprocsessing

Martin Pool mbp at sourcefrog.net
Thu Sep 18 00:09:02 GMT 2003

On 14 Sep 2003 Christian Gerlach <_cgerlach_ at web.de> wrote:

> But adding this functionality to distcc seems to me not a big deal.
> The only things you have to do:
> - Do not distribute the prepocessed file, but the working directory and the
> compiler command line.
> - Patch distccd to start the compiler in the given directory with the
> options. Or even better: start ccache with the command line, using a cache
> in a shared nfs-directory.
>
> Is there anything I have missed?

 - Pass the correct PATH, so that the right compiler is found.  Or
   pass the absolute path to the compiler.

You may need to change some NFS caching parameters so that the results
of the compilation are seen straight away on other machines.

I don't have this setup, so I probably won't write it any time soon.
Feel free to send a patch.