[distcc] Yet another compile failure

Ajay Agrawalla aagrawalla at hyperchip.com
Wed Sep 17 22:24:41 GMT 2003

Martin Pool wrote:
> On 15 Sep 2003 Ajay Agrawalla <aagrawalla at hyperchip.com> wrote:
>
>> For gcc incompatibility problems..
>>
>> I was thinking like adding a compiler pree-qulification phase where
>> the master builder would provide the compile requirements and the
>> slave builder would present their credientials ( like gcc version etc
>> etc ) and qualify to be part of the build process...
>
> The question is, what tests do you do to make sure they're compatible?
> As has been discussed here before, merely testing that they report the
> same version is not sufficient.  (It might be a good start.)  You
> might need an autoconf-like list of known problems for different
> versions of gcc.  This can be pretty complex.

Yup. Agree.  Having different version of tool chain on the build machines
can be nightmare while building one executable or lib.  May be this
certification phase for the build process itself is not a good idea.

while we on this topic of pre-certification, have you thought abt it for
other purpose like authenticated machines, qulified machine depending on
their network thouroughput, etc.  but may be these are just things we as
developers just don;t care to invest any time in it.

Good job at distcc though.

ajay