[distcc] distributing preprocsessing

Martin Pool mbp at sourcefrog.net
Sat Sep 13 23:43:51 GMT 2003

On Sat 2003-09-13, Christian Gerlach wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I am working for a company which is currently using teambuilder for
> distributed compile jobs. We have lots of really fast machines and a common
> NFS-share for our homes.
> I have now tried using distcc in combination with ccache and I am really
> impressed. The problem which I see (teambuilder has this too) is that the
> preprocessing is only done by one machine.
> My question is:
> Is there any chance to distribute the preprocsessing step?
> Using:
> - The same system/compiler
> - NFS share
> Is this possible and do you see any benefits?
> Maybe I am completely wrong.

Hi Christian,

Yes, you can certainly do this.  I know some people have written
programs to do similar things, but I can't find one on the web at the
moment.  Please let us know if you find one.

If you can rely on all the machines seeing the same filesystem then
things are much easier obviously.  distcc just provides a way to cope
without it.

distcc can't do it, and I don't really know if it would be in scope to
add it.  There would not be much in common aside from at the broadest
level.  Most of the code in distcc is concerned with deciding which
jobs can be distributed, and sending them across the network, and
neither of them would be needed.

-- mbp